Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The garden

I thought great weather would never ever come! I get so antsy to be able to get outside and play in the dirt and start making things grow again. The trouble this year is that being heavily pregnant and feeling pain and stretching in places I never expected, I've had to leave the gardening to Dan. And since gardening is not his thing, he can get pretty grouchy about it.


Here's Dan in the backyard working on preparing the garden site a few days ago. The ground was super soft so he just got out there and dug and pulled up the grass and weeds, and it didn't take him too long either. Isaac thought he'd be fast enough to run from me and the camera!

Yesterday after dropping Isaac off at school, and since Dan had the day off and the weather was beautiful, we ran to the farm supply store and bought seeds to plant after Isaac got home from school. Isaac has been earning dimes for his piggy bank by doing chores like making his bed, so he was able to earn a couple dimes by helping us plant seeds in the front and backyards.

We were able to use the bricks and pieces of bricks we had to create a border around my strawberries. I had meant to do alot of things this last fall, but with spending the whole day throwing up it just wasn't a priority to work in the garden. So the strawberries had stretched and were starting to go into the grass and surrounding garden area, and we can't have that! We were able to move the rope trellis over and secure it well for use this summer. We planted pole beans (green beans) and spinach. In the buckets we planted hubbard squash, acorn squash, oregano, and basil. We need to start our peppers and tomatoes indoors, as well as our other herbs before we can get those in the ground outside. I didn't want to plant as much as we had last summer because 1) I'm not the one doing the planting and remember: Dan gets grouchy, and 2) I'm hoping by having fewer plants out there we won't have as big a problem with powdery mildew as we did last year. I can't wait to take pictures of our garden when it starts to grow and get pretty!

0 comments:

 
Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.