Monday, May 25, 2009

The SURPRISE baby shower

As I've told my family before, Brooke has given me total pregnancy brain, so I haven't exactly been the sharpest crayon in the box. I'm usually pretty sharp (I like to think) and I normally pick up on things pretty quickly. I don't remember having pregnancy brain this bad with Isaac, but then when I was pregnant with Isaac I didn't have Isaac to care for either while I was pregnant!

My sister flew out from Nebraska for the weekend. She arrived on Thursday, but because of Isaac's school and my unwillingness to leave the house, we wouldn't be able to get together until Saturday. Originally my mom and sister wanted to take me out to lunch, but I told them I just wasn't up to it so I asked for them to come to my house. They said that would be fine, and my sister would bring her make-up stuff and pamper me a bit and my mom wanted to take Isaac and Krista's young son, Logan, for a walk around the neighborhood.

They arrived and I fed Isaac lunch and Logan munched on an apple. Then my mom loaded the boys up and left and Krista attacked me with makeup brushes. She and my mom use this really cool makeup called Sheer Cover... It's awesome stuff, really! A short while later we got a phone call from my mom, and she said that she had taken the boys down to a flower shop and then around down another street and she didn't see the crack in the sidewalk and rolled her ankle (she's got weak ankles) and needed us to come pick them up. I asked if Krista could just go and get her and my mom said no, that Krista is terrible with directions and it would be best if I came too. Ugh, fine. She gave me the name of the cross street she was on, and I wondered to myself what in the world she was doing way over there because that sounded like the street my VT companion, Illa, lives on. So we quickly fixed our makeup and left the house.

I turned onto the street that Illa lives on, and my sister was on the phone with my mom and my mom said there was this nice lady that came out and took her and the boys in the backyard in the shade. I asked Krista to ask my mom if the lady's name was Illa. It was. I rolled my eyes, because that was incredible that my mom happened to roll her ankle in front of Illa's house! We got out of the van and Krista rushed ahead into the backyard. I waddled behind and as I entered the backyard I saw a big table set up with a cake on it (I didn't pay attention to the cake decorations). Well, that's just great. Not only has my mother rolled her ankle but she's also managed to crash Illa's party! I walk around the corner and there are some friends from church, my female family members, and two of my good friends that I haven't seen in forever!!!! It still took me a minute to grasp what was going on, and I was so shocked! Shocked that they had managed to pull this over on me, shocked that somehow my mom and sister who live far from us had somehow managed to contact my friends and ward friends, and just so surprised because I've never had a surprise party before! At that moment I was grateful that for my sister's visit I was dressed decently because I certainly wasn't expecting to be out and about that day!

We had a great time and played some fun games. We received some ADORABLE baby clothes and blankets and things. We even got a baby gate which I was thrilled about since we have steep stairs here at our place! My Grandma is a fantastic cook and she made a huge delicious cake with a lemon creme filling (I think Grandma said the creme filling was a 100 year old recipe, so it was the real thing and not that nasty fake stuff). Isaac and Logan played well together, and Isaac was a great helper handing out the game award gifts and helping the ladies and me unwrap everything.

The only horrifying part was at the end when my mom said that a little fly had been on the bedroom wall the night Brooke was conceived, and these were the things it heard. I hadn't realized my cousin had been recording everything I had said about the gifts as I had opened them, so according to this little story the fly heard things like, "Ooooh, it's so cute and soft!" and "It even has a cute little bow on it!" I have a warped sense of humor just like the rest of my family so normally this would have had me doubled over laughing, but I had ladies from church there so part of me was laughing and part of me was so embarrassed that I was laughing at something so vulgar! We had a good time though.

The biggest shock of all was that Daniel knew about this surprise party! He's the world's worst secret keeper and somehow he managed to keep this from me!!! He was working so later when I talked to him on the phone he asked me if I'd taken any pictures. I said no, because I thought I was just going to pick up my handicapped mother! My family took pics though, so I'll have to have them send me some.

0 comments:

 
Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.