Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Week 36

If you stare at it long enough, it does start to look like a baby's head. But I added the notes to the 2nd pic in case you don't have 30 min to stare at the screen.

Today was my doctor appointment for week 36. We arrived on time, but unfortunately my doctor was called to an emergency surgery so she was not.

I hate peeing in a cup, and even 30 years later I still don't have that talent down pat (boys have it so easy). When I came into the exam room I found the exam table/bed with a pad on it and a nicely folded sheet on top. On the doctor's table was a pair of gloves and other torture devices used to take samples and tests. *GROAN* I've felt very fortunate that I haven't had to spread-eagle during this pregnancy, since it seemed like I was doing it all the time when I was pregnant with Isaac. But I knew it was coming since I'm at the end, so I was a good patient and stripped down. After waiting about 30 minutes and still no doctor, I realized I had to use the bathroom again. Daniel says, "Again?!" I glare at him. Um, yes! I'm hugely pregnant, of course I have to pee again! So I had to get re-dressed so I could make it down the hall to the bathroom without frightening other patients.

Feeling much better, I made it back to my room and began the whole process again of undressing and finished just as my doctor walked through the door. Perfect timing! She did the ultrasound there, which was cool because #1: I haven't had one in-office since my first trimester and #2: I wasn't even expecting it. She pointed out the baby's face which I nodded but of course it all looked like scrambled eggs to me. I could see the heartbeat, since that was the only thing fluttering on screen. She measured my tummy, and as she was preparing for the torture-exam, Dan took Isaac out in the hall and called his work to tell them he'd be a little late coming in.

Before my doctor began the exam, she asked if I had any questions... I told her that a few months ago I had mentioned the pain in my groin and she had told me it was from a nerve the baby was sitting on (this was in addition to and separate from the Sciatic nerve pain Brooke has given me). Well, that pain has gotten so bad that it's become painful just to walk. Doing things like getting dressed and climbing the stairs takes real effort because it hurts so bad. I told her that after the birth of my son, because of the injuries I received, ever since then I'd had pain and discomfort down there, and I wanted to know if this pinched nerve was aggravating that old injury. So while she was doing her tests and swabs, she also checked me out. Sure enough, Brooke is down "very, very low" and she said it wouldn't surprise her at all if Brooke was putting pressure right on that spot. Unfortunately, there are still just two things I can do: I can walk around on my hands and knees, which would take the pressure off from down there. And I can give birth. Neither one is very practical since Brooke isn't due yet and I can't spend the day on my hands and knees (not to mention getting up again is hard!) My doctor did tell me that after Brooke is born, if I'm still having pain, she'll send me to physical therapy in a heartbeat. I had to do some PT after Isaac was born, and my doctor had recommended more, but because it was such a painful and humiliating thing to go through I chose not to do more PT. If I have pain this time still, I will be doing the PT!

Everything looks good, and we're very close to Brooke's arrival. I've gained 15 lbs total, which sucks since I had wanted to keep my total down to 15 or less, but my doctor said it's perfect and I've done a really great job. I figure if she says it's good, she knows best, but I'm looking forward to it all being over and done with so I can be active again and get back on a weight loss program.

Only about 3 weeks left to go! Unless Brooke decides to come on the 29th, then it's just over 2 weeks!

0 comments:

 
Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.